Friday, March 4, 2011

Bedside manners

It is alarming how rude doctors can be to patients! Yes I have definitely witnessed it with my own eyes for the past two years. Some doctors just lack bedside manners!

I’ve seen patients getting scolded when they complained of pain and I’ve seen patients being disrespected when they refused medical treatment.

I often wonder: what is the use of being a smart doctor who can diagnose any diseases but who lack compassion? I think that being nice and respectful to patients is the most important part of patients’ care. Yes, knowledge is important, but being respectful and having good bedside manner are even more important.

The following extract is from an article written by Dr Centor about bedside manners.

‘Most physicians understand that good medical care involves both science and art, and one cannot easily separate the right-brain activities from the left-brain activities when providing patient care. Excellent physicians develop a relationship with the patient. They engender trust through their approach. The physician-patient relationship is special, because patients come to us in vulnerable situations. They depend on us to make diagnoses and prescribe treatments, but they also depend on us to help them make good decisions about managing their problems.’
(http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/737495?src=mp&spon=25)

I couldn’t have described it any better. A good doctor-patient relationship is essential to good patient’s care.

I hope that future doctors will remember that medicine is indeed a noble profession and that they be respectful to patients.

1 comment:

  1. I think bedside manner is extremely important and it aids communication too (in that the patient will feel confident raising further questions). I think some doctors have a disgusting attitude. Then again, I'd rather have a rude doctor than the doctors in this country who are polite enough but are incompetent and ineffective.

    ReplyDelete